Classic Media, Inc., is an American production company and distributor of family programming. Their library consists of properties which they acquired from other companies, including Harvey Entertainment, Golden Books Family Entertainment, Big Idea Productions, and Entertainment Rights.
In 2001, Classic Media acquired 50% of Golden Books Family Entertainment for $84.4 million, in partnership with Random House. In fact, Classic Media purchased the rights to Golden's film, TV and home video library, as well as ancillary rights to characters from Little Golden Books and Dell Comics/Gold Key Comics.
The Golden Books entertainment holdings that Classic Media acquired include:
- Films, specials and series based on Little Golden Books and Dell Comics/Gold Key Comics
- The Jack Wrather catalog (The Lone Ranger, Lassie, Sgt. Preston of the Yukon)
- The Adventure Cartoon Productions catalog (Felix the Cat, The Mighty Hercules)
- The pre-1974 Rankin/Bass Productions library (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, etc.)
- Shari Lewis' two PBS series (Lamb Chop's Play Along and Charlie Horse Music Pizza)
- The Total Television catalog (Underdog, Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales, ect.)